turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment is taxable in Iowa. Iowa is not taxing the first $10200 ....but I received more but there is no box 10 on my 1099-G. what do i do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unemployment is taxable in Iowa. Iowa is not taxing the first $10200 ....but I received more but there is no box 10 on my 1099-G. what do i do?

Iowa income tax filing deadline pushed to June 1; workers who got unemployment will receive tax break. That means workers will not have to pay any income tax on the first $10,200 in unemployment insurance benefits from 2020.

Anything over the $10,200 is taxable both Federally and by the state.

Turbo tax is saying that I need box 10b state id # from my unemployment....there is no box 10b.  It's saying if there is no box then my benefits are not taxable....that is incorrect.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Each box in the state area has a question mark you can click for more information.

10a

You should have a state abbreviation in box 10a if you have an amount in box 11.

If box 10a is blank on your form and you have an amount in box 11, enter the abbreviation of the state that issued your unemployment. Do this even if box 10a is blank on your form.

If you don't see boxes 11 and 10a, or if they're both blank , that's okay. Not all  states tax these benefits and may not include these boxes on the form (or may leave both boxes blank). If that's the case, you can leave them blank here.

10b

While the federal government considers unemployment as taxable income, not all states do. If your state taxes unemployment income, you'll have information in boxes 10a and 10b on your form.

Use box 10b to enter the state identification number shown in the same box on your 1099-G.

If your state does not tax these benefits, you won't see this box on your form and you can leave it blank here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies