turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file homestead credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Bridget02

How do i file homestead credit

-Under the State taxes tab, choose the state that you lived in and paid rent in for the 8 months. Click on Edit across from your state.

-Go through the interview and answer the questions that apply to you. Soon, you will arrive at a screen titled something along the lines of “Homestead Property Tax Credit”. This page will ask you if you rent your home, or if you pay property tax on your home. (See the first screenshot I have attached, for MI state. Again, the screen will look slightly different by each state)

-The next screen will ask you to verify whether you are a homeowner or a renter. Choose renter and click continue (see second attached screenshot)

-Next, it will ask you what type of rental. Select your type of rental and click Continue.

- The next screen asks you to Enter your Rental Information (as shown in screenshot 3, attached).This is where you will be able to indicate the exact number of months you rented for, as well as the amount of rent you paid. Click continue when you are done here.

- When you are finished entering your information into these sections, you will arrive at a page titled, “Rented Homestead Summary” (see attached screenshot 4). If you need to go back and change anything in your rented homestead information screens, you will click on edit on this page and it will take you back through all of the aforementioned screens and interview questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies