turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmb_1981

My wife and I recently moved to Michigan from Ohio and still work in Toledo. When filing taxes, does Turbo Tax have a form in order to receive our Toledo taxes back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My wife and I recently moved to Michigan from Ohio and still work in Toledo. When filing taxes, does Turbo Tax have a form in order to receive our Toledo taxes back?

Since you were not a full year MI resident, the reciprocal agreement between OH & MI does not apply for 2017. You will have to file a part year resident return for both states.

The reciprocal agreement does not apply to city taxes. If you continued to work in Toledo, it was proper for your employer to continue to withhold Toledo city tax. You can NOT get a refund from Toledo. This will continue into 2018, even though your employer will (should) stop Ohio state withholding and switch to MI.

You don't say whether you lived in Toledo. It actually doesn't matter, since Toledo is one of the few Ohio cities that does not require residents to file if the proper amount was withheld.

Michigan will give you credit for what you paid to Toledo on the MI state return, but only for the part you paid while a MI resident. You have to attach a copy of the city return. So, even though Toledo may  not require you to file a return, you have to file one to get the MI credit, even though there will be no tax due to  or refunded from the Ohio city.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Since you were not a full year MI resident, the reciprocal agreement between OH & MI does not apply for 2017. You will have to file a part year resident return for both states.

The reciprocal agreement does not apply to city taxes. If you continued to work in Toledo, it was proper for your employer to continue to withhold Toledo city tax. You can NOT get a refund from Toledo. This will continue into 2018, even though your employer will (should) stop Ohio state withholding and switch to MI.

You don't say whether you lived in Toledo. It actually doesn't matter, since Toledo is one of the few Ohio cities that does not require residents to file if the proper amount was withheld.

Michigan will give you credit for what you paid to Toledo on the MI state return, but only for the part you paid while a MI resident. You have to attach a copy of the city return. So, even though Toledo may  not require you to file a return, you have to file one to get the MI credit, even though there will be no tax due to  or refunded from the Ohio city.  

IreneS
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax contains the tax forms for OH municipalities that belong to either RITA or the Central Collection Agency (CCA).  Since Toledo is not a RITA municipality or a member of the CCA, TurboTax does not contain the tax return for Toledo.  You can obtain the necessary forms from the Toledo Taxation and Treasury website

Even though you moved to Michigan, since you still work in Toledo you will still have to pay Toledo taxes.  The City of Toledo taxes "[s]alaries, wages, and other personal service compensation earned by Toledo residents anywhere and earned by nonresidents of Toledo for work done or services performed in Toledo."

If you haven't already, check with your payroll office to have MI taxes withheld from your paycheck instead of OH.  MI and OH have a reciprocity agreement--an agreement between two states that allows residents of one state to request exemption from tax withholding in the other (reciprocal) state. This can save you the trouble of having to file multiple state returns in the future.  File exemption form T-4NR with your employer so that OH taxes won't be taken out in the future (just MI taxes). 

Unfortunately reciprocity does not apply to the Toledo city taxes--you will still be responsible for those.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies