Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbo tax still charging for state even i am supposed to get one free

I bought the deluxe version where it states I have 1 state product included.  So why am I prompted to be charged when I am trying to file.  I have input the license code, so why am I still being charged for state when it is advertised I get 1 free state?  Please advise, this is delaying me filing my taxes.  Thank you. 

Kindest Regards,

Mir 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

With the CD/Download software you get one free State program, but there is a charge to e-file a state return.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

I am not understanding how that makes sense.  They are stating "1 free state program" with the purchase, the primary reason why I bought this.  So how is it that I cannot file 1 state for free if I am supposed to get 1 free state program?

The State program is free which is what you used to prepare your return.  If you had to pay for the State program it would have been $44.99.  It does not state there is a free state e-file, they are two separate things.

It states * Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns ($24.99). E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Thank you for your response.  That is very misleading advertising for the average consumer.  If this was the case I would have purchased another option.  Definitely not buying TurboTax again.  

@mirnislam  I am sorry you feel cheated but it is not misleading when it says Free State Program, the charge for e-filing is stated.  You can also mail in your State return to avoid the e-file charge.  If you used the Online version you would be charged for the State return.

To Add:  I am the average customer just like you, I do not work for TurboTax.  I like to help others with the experience I have.  I have used the CD/Download software for over 11 years, & love it. 

jvanzwol

That is misleading advertising!!!!

I completely agree that this is misleading!  I expected one free state filing.  This feels like bait and switch!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies