Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax messed up my payment! I owe for my state tax but my bank statement says $0 was posted for the payment!!

I e-filed both federal and state and made my tax payments online via TurboTax desktop. My federal taxes were paid just fine. Both federal and state taxes were accepted. However on my bank statement, it say my state tax payment was $0 ! I know I owe money. The date on the statement is April 11, and it is listed as already posted (not a pending transaction).

The filing instructions have the correct $ amount along with the correct direct debit information.
So why does it say $0? Will I now owe a penalty because Turbo Tax paid the incorrect amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo Tax messed up my payment! I owe for my state tax but my bank statement says $0 was posted for the payment!!

$0?  That's weird.  Maybe CO sent a test debit to check the account number first.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@ColoradoK  possibly that is a charge of $0 for the state tax package or the state filing fee?  Or when you filed your return you possibly set it to autopay but, put in the wrong amount.  This happens often when people are editing their returns and then change it. You may have used direct debit and did not input your full amount due.  It could be that the state still has not processed your payment.  Look at your filing instruction sheet from when you filed as it would indicate how payments would be processed.

The state of CO opened late in 2024 and was backlogged in processing returns.  

There are several ways to pay your federal tax bill in TurboTax. Go here if you can't pay your taxes.

Direct debit

Credit or debit card

Check or money order

Cash

Payment plan

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

I checked my filling instructions form, freshly generated from TT, and that lists the correct amount to pay as well as all the correct direct debit information. I do not remember changing the amount, but other than looking at the current filing instructions that TT shows me (which is currently correct), I have no way of knowing if the amount was changed to something else.

It actually says this on my bank statement:
$0.00   ACH Electronic Debit - CO DEPT REVENUE TAXPAYMENT 
But I guess it is a possibility that Colorado charged me $0 for some unknown reason and the actual tax payment is still processing...

I guess I will wait for some complaint from Colorado that I did not pay my taxes before complaining to Intuit.

$0?  That's weird.  Maybe CO sent a test debit to check the account number first.  

That is a good thought! Although it was a week ago that they did it.
I guess I will just wait it out a week or so at this point.

Well this must have been it! (CO test debit or something!)

My other friend convinced me to call Intuit for help. To be ready for the call and have all the information, I opened TurboTax and logged in to my bank account. And lo and behold, in the last few hours since posting this question, there is a new 'pending' transaction for the correct amount from CO DEPT REVENUE TAXPAYMENT.

So I guess patience is key here!  🙂

Thanks for all the responses and help

maglib
Level 11

@ColoradoK  please mark best answer so you won't continue to get follow up emails as it stays open.  I'm glad it worked out and didn't take too long.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies