Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djaw

Turbo Tax is currently treating the California MCTR payment as taxable by both the State and Federal governments.

If this is not fixed, it will delay processing of returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax is currently treating the California MCTR payment as taxable by both the State and Federal governments.

TurboTax is not treating the California MCTR payment as taxable if the user identifies it as such.

In TurboTax Online, when entering Form 1099-MISC, at the screen "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?", select "This was a California Middle Class Tax Refund (MCTR)". At the bottom of the screen, a statement appears that this item will not be taxable on your California or Federal returns.

The IRS just announced today that the payments are not considered taxable and don't need to be entered on the Federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I enter the 1099-MISC for the CA MCTR (California Middle Class Tax Refund , yes I did select the "uncommon" box stating that it is the CA MCTR) my Federal Taxes are not changed but my California Taxes INCREASE! On the California Schedule CA Section B line z  Turbotax automatically inputted CA payment $700 and CA payment - general welfare exclusion -$700, so I can't subtract the $700 again.  Why does this happen? and now do I fix it?   Deluxe, CD version, MAC

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The IRS decision is "the CA MCTR is not taxable" taxpayers do not need to enter it on their tax return.  Go back to the "Wages and Income" and delete the CA MCTR 1099-MISC form information.  

Here is the IRS decision for reference.

Once this is corrected on my already accepted taxes, how do I refile in order to correct my return?  Will Turbotax allow me to e-file the correction?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will be able to file an amended tax return through TurboTax which will correct the error and get you a refund.  But first, make sure you wait until the IRS has completed processing your return and issued your previous refund or processed payment for your original return.  The IRS is aware that by making this late announcement they have caused massive inconvenience for taxpayers and they may just correct the return you filed and issue the refund immediately.

If they don't do the correction for you then you will log in to your TurboTax account and click 'amend a previously filed return'.  The system will help you out from there.

@charscanlan 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies