Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajs
Level 3

TT Premier state return Start or Edit freezes up

Greetings. Long-time user of TT Premier, always buying CD (if it matters). Always preparing two similar tax returns. Used first state (KS), bought second state (CO) successfully, prepared both states on return 1. Now in return 2, ready to work on states, both KS and CO say "Start", but pressing the button only puts a gold border on the button, screen freezes up indefinitely, even after rebooting the Win 10 PC.

I should at least get some kind of error message. Something is really screwed up here.

Going to Forms mode on return 2 works, shows no KS or CO forms yet, back to step-by-step the button now says "Edit" not "Start", but still freezes up trying to press it. What to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are still experiencing this error, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ajs
Level 3

Well thanks, but I was hoping someone here would have seen this problem, before diving into phone call hell.  And I don't know if it continues or not, because eventually by switching to forms mode, somehow now I COULD see incomplete state returns in the file, make some direct data field entries, and returning to step-by-step, now "Edit" worked OK. Perhaps this was a workaround somehow, or perhaps TT/Intuit took extraordinarily long to allow my state editing after purchase, for some reason.

FL24
Level 1

TT Premier 2022 and earlier were 32-bit and I had ZERO problems even under Windows 64-bit OS. 2023 programs are all 64-bit and will only run on Windows 64-bit OS. Windows 10 64-bit has extra security and I need to run TT 2023 as an administrator or else the program will close.  Starting a new return will close the program. Also, Help -> About -> Version will close the program. Perhaps your program is doing the same.

ajs
Level 3

Thanks, but it can't be that, after all the program does mostly run, and not in admin mode.

Well I got all 3 family tax returns completed and filed after finding the workaround, so, whatever. Just hope Intuit is listening. When I was a software engineer, before retiring, I devoured customer problem reports like this, look for always improving our products.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies