Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trailing RSU tax and property tax in New York and California

In January of 2022, I relocated from NY to CA. So, for the first paycheck (for base salary) I get in January, I have state tax withhold from both NY and CA; and all future paychecks only have CA withholding. But due to trailing RSU liabilities, the RSU was granted when I was in NY and vested when I was in CA has state tax withholding from both NY and CA. So I am wondering, in this case, should I report NY non-resident tax first and then claim a tax credit on my CA return on the income from my 2022 first paycheck and RSU with both NY and CA withholding?

The second question is, I purchased a home in CA in 2022. The interested I paid in 2022 was about 40k. When I file NY state non-resident return, Turbotax calculated the deduction for this home mortgage interest is around 20K; when I file CA state return, Turbotax also calculated a deduction for the mortgage interest around 20K. So, I am wondering, can I claim tax deduction for the mortgage interest for both CA and NY state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Yes, prepare your non-resident tax return first (New York), determine what, if any, taxes are owed to NY, and then when you prepare your California return, you can claim whatever credit is available for having paid tax to NY.  

No, as to your second question, as it appears your allocation is not balanced.  The majority of your mortgage interest should be allocated to CA.  In the NY section of TurboTax, after the screen that relates to NY additions and subtractions, you should see the screen, Your mortgage interest and points deduction.  Perhaps you have already seen this screen, but it is here where you can allocate to NY, that portion of your mortgage interest reported on your federal return.  From your post, maybe that $20,000 amount was already entered in the NY field.   However, you need to adjust the amount being allocated to NY to reflect your period of non-residency while you were earning income from a NY source.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply!

For the RSUs that were granted in NY but vested in CA over 2022, should I consider them as NY income and allocate these income to NY?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Not entirely.  Calculate the number of months from grant date to vesting date.  Then divide the number of months allocated to NY by the total number of all months (i.e. from grant date to vesting date) and the resulting percentage is what you can allocate to NY.  For example, let's say the number of months from grant date to vesting date was 12 months.  Let's also say that for 9 of those 12 months you were in NY.  For the final 3 months in this example you were in CA and the RSUs vested on the last day in the 12th month.  You would then divide 9 by 12, and the resulting percentage is 75%.  Therefore, in this example, allocate 75% of the RSU income to NY.  The remaining 25% is allocated to CA.  

@douglasjia 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wow, that's sooooo complex....I will allocate all of them to NY first and get tax credits for CA. But thank you for your explanation and examples! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies