turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My legal residence is CT but i live and work in RI how do I file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

There is another wrinkle.  Rhode Island considers you a resident for tax purposes if, even though domiciled outside Rhode Island, you maintained a permanent place of abode within the state and spent a total of more than 183 days of the taxable year within the state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

There is another wrinkle.  Rhode Island considers you a resident for tax purposes if, even though domiciled outside Rhode Island, you maintained a permanent place of abode within the state and spent a total of more than 183 days of the taxable year within the state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DS30

It depends but if you did not change your permanent residence out of CT (like got an RI driver's license or change your permanent address to RI) and you have no intension of changing your legal residence to RI, then CT will be considered your permanent state of residence.

Therefore, if you are a permanent resident of CT but were in RI on a temporary basis (even if for a full year) and earned income in RI, then you will need to file a RI nonresident state income tax return (for your RI source income only - your RI wages). You will also need to file a CT resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including RI wages). You will get a state income tax credit in CT for any RI state income taxes that you paid on your nonresident RI state income tax return

You will want to work on your nonresident RI state income tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your nonresident RI state income taxes on your resident CT state income tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your RI state income taxes up to the amount of CT state income taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in CT).  The credit for taxes paid to another state section will be at the end of your residence state's interview process.

However, if you do consider RI as your new permanent state of residence and have no CT sourced income, then only file an RI resident state income tax return.

Otherwise just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies