turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 309 california

My personal information shows I worked in another state. CA is listed as my resident state and AZ is listed as my non resident state. I did my AZ state return first and I am stuck on form 309. It is asking for me to put the amount of income subject to tax by another state. Turbo Tax is not filling out this part. What am I supposed to put?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Form 309 california

You have to complete the resident CA return first, then the nonresident AZ return. That is so TT/AZ can get some of the information it needs to complete the other state tax credit for the income earned in AZ that is being taxed by both states. You may have to tell TT/AZ how much that income is since it's the nonresident return and may not be able to figure it out itself.

Form 309 california

Did my CA return first, then the AZ one and same issue. I see that form 309 has been filled out by TT but  TT doesn't transfer the information. I have to go figure out what to put there. BTW, TT says to do the non resident form first then the resident. I wonder if TT is confused because my income was only earned in AZ. I had no income earned in CA.
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Form 309 california

There are about 5 or 6 states such that between them it's the nonresident state that takes the other state tax credit.  AZ & CA are two of them.
So TT/AZ needs to know the $$ income that both AZ & CA are taxing (that's probably the entire amount of AZ income? What AZ income are you reporting? A rental?) and the CA tax on that income. For the tax $$, take that double taxed income, divide it by the Calif taxable income on Form 540 line 19, and multiply that fraction by the tax on line 48.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies