Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a non resident alien can I claim deduction for the sales tax on my car? I live in Washington state.

I live in WA state where there is no state tax. I paid a hefty 10% sales tax on my new car. I'm a non resident alien for the year 2017. Can I claim deduction for that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

As a non resident alien can I claim deduction for the sales tax on my car? I live in Washington state.

Schedule A on a 1040, has the option of claiming sales tax or state income tax, and sales tax paid in any state can be included. However, if you are filing 1040NR, you only have the option of claiming State Income tax paid. 

[Edited 04.07.18 |3:51PM]

"if you take the sales tax paid option" what does that mean?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

There are 2 options for taking state taxes paid on a Schedule A (lines 5a and 5b). You can claim State Income Tax, line 5a) which is usually withheld on your W2, or State Sales Tax (line 5b). People that live in states with income tax usually pick State Income Tax, people in states with no income tax usually pick State Sales Tax. But you also need to itemize deductions for any of this to matter. If you take the Standard Deduction, you won't have a Schedule A.

Thanks. That helps. Can I still do that on 1040NR for itemized deductions?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

No, if you are filing 1040NR, that option is not available.

One last question- If I was filing 1040, I could either claim standard deduction or an itemized deduction. The sales tax on my car in Washington state is $5600 . However, the standard deduction allowed for a single person is $6350 in 2017. I won't have to file state taxes in WA. If I can claim only one of those, so in this case clearly the standard deduction is a better option, right?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies