turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Principal business code for CA Form 3514

I get error message indicating I need to enter Business code (from Fed Sch C (form 1040) box B) on Line 18for CA Earned Income Tax Credit Form 3514

There is no Sch C in my return.  I am unable to find business code on K1 that I received from employer.

Have received K1 for many years and never had issue before. I can't find 3514 on prior year returns

The K1 has Partnership EIN.  Can I enter this as the SEIN on line 18 of Form instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmandaR1

The Form 3514 requests a business code, business license number and SEIN. If you don't have a SEIN or business license number, then you should be able to leave those lines blank, per the form instructions. 

These are both state or locality issued numbers. Sometimes the software is just verifying the information in the error/notifications. The schedule K-1 doesn't report this information, so you wouldn't have it unless it was included in  supporting details. 

You will need to enter the business code (for the type of activity), per the instructions.  You can search for a 6 digit business code that fits the business activity at the NAICS search code listing here: https://www.naics.com/naics-search-results/ 

If you don't know what the business activity is then you can use code 999999.

Where do I Find a Personal Business Code for Form C

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

From  @PatriciaR :

The principle business code is a six digit code that corresponds to the type of work you perform. To see a list of codes, please view pages 17-19, in the IRS link:  2020 Instructions for Schedule C

@wafischer1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies