Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marlenehaworth
Returning Member

If I receive 2 Police pensions and the total deducted for the insurance exclusion is 3,309 what do I do with the balance over the 3,000 exclusion allowed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If I receive 2 Police pensions and the total deducted for the insurance exclusion is 3,309 what do I do with the balance over the 3,000 exclusion allowed?

It's reportable as a medical expense on Schedule A line 1.  That won't be beneficial if your medical expense total is low or you use the standard deduction.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

It's reportable as a medical expense on Schedule A line 1.  That won't be beneficial if your medical expense total is low or you use the standard deduction.

marlenehaworth
Returning Member

Thanks, that is what I did, but it cost me $216 more in taxes; I was hoping 4 some way of still reaping the same tax benefit, but I guess I have 2 accept it is what it is.  Thanks again I appreciate U'r time n God bless.  Marlene
dmertz
Level 15

It's a bit surprising that a $309 change in AGI makes a $216 change in your tax liability, but not impossible.  You might want to compare your tax returns side by side with and without this correction just to see what is being affected by the increase in AGI.
marlenehaworth
Returning Member

sorry never got back 2 U sooner, my apologies.  It apparently had 2do with the $3000 being a direct deduction and the $309 just 'making up and/or increasing the Sch. A deduction to surpass the 7.5% of AGI.  I hope I explained that so it made sense.   Again thanks 4 u'r time and knowledge sharing.   Viva a April 16th
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies