turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmongeon

I applied for unemployment in DC and then moved to CA. I received all the payments while living in CA. Do I count this as income earned while residing in CA?

DC state form asks me for amount of income I earned while residing outside of DC. It gets deducted from my DC liability and greatly increases my refund. Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I applied for unemployment in DC and then moved to CA. I received all the payments while living in CA. Do I count this as income earned while residing in CA?

If you moved from DC to CA in 2017, and received unemployment while living in the new state. It is counted as income earned while residing in the new state. You will need to file for part-year return for each state. See helpful information below. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302342

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you moved from DC to CA in 2017, and received unemployment while living in the new state. It is counted as income earned while residing in the new state. You will need to file for part-year return for each state. See helpful information below. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302342

cmongeon

Thanks! I just want to make sure this is true even if I am collecting unemployment from DC govt (from DC job) while residing in CA.
It makes a big difference on my taxes since DC taxes unemployment income and CA does not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies