turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k-brodski

I moved to California from the UK in June and noticed that reporting foreign source income decreases CA tax refund.

I received UK income only when I lived there before June 2017 and received US income only after I moved to the US in June 2017.

Why does my UK income affect my CA tax refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I moved to California from the UK in June and noticed that reporting foreign source income decreases CA tax refund.

If you only started your CA state residency in June of 2017 after moving here from the UK, you will file a part-year CA state income tax return to report only the income that was received during your part-year residency in CA. Any income received before the start of your CA state residency date will not be included on your part-year CA return (even if you are considered a full year resident for federal income tax purposes).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

If you only started your CA state residency in June of 2017 after moving here from the UK, you will file a part-year CA state income tax return to report only the income that was received during your part-year residency in CA. Any income received before the start of your CA state residency date will not be included on your part-year CA return (even if you are considered a full year resident for federal income tax purposes).

k-brodski

Thanks! Does it mean I don't need to enter any non resident foreign income for CA tax return?
DS30

Yes - that is correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies