turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmed07

I worked for one employer in California, but we went to New York and Illinois for events. I have 3 version of W2s. How do I file? Am I supposed to pay the $44.99/state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I worked for one employer in California, but we went to New York and Illinois for events. I have 3 version of W2s. How do I file? Am I supposed to pay the $44.99/state?

You will have a filing requirement in all three states.  If you are using a version of TurboTax that is not free and you wish to file the state returns in TurboTax, there is a charge for each state.  

You will file nonresident returns for Illinois and New York  Both of those states will tax the income you received working in each.  California taxes all of your income because you live there.  If you choose to file all three state returns through TurboTax, you will want to prepare the two nonresident state returns first.  This way, the credit for taxes paid to the other states will transfer over to your California return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You will have a filing requirement in all three states.  If you are using a version of TurboTax that is not free and you wish to file the state returns in TurboTax, there is a charge for each state.  

You will file nonresident returns for Illinois and New York  Both of those states will tax the income you received working in each.  California taxes all of your income because you live there.  If you choose to file all three state returns through TurboTax, you will want to prepare the two nonresident state returns first.  This way, the credit for taxes paid to the other states will transfer over to your California return.

bmed07

Thanks Daniel, however I was told this is all ONE W2, which contain the workstate earnings... I have TurboTax Deluxe. I was paid by ONE employer in California. Why do I need to file per state if I was a non-resident?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you worked in Illinois and NY, you should have amounts listed for each state on the W2.  Regardless, each state is allowed to tax the income you earned while working in each state.  Where your company is from makes no difference to Illinois and New York.  What matters is that you worked inside of each states' borders.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies