Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: State return won't transmit e-file

If you want to request a refund for your $25 state e-file fee withOUT having to call in, here's how to do it:

You'll need the order number and associated email for your state e-file. Search your emails for "TURBOTAX DESKTOP STATE RETURN TAX YEAR 2021 E-FILE" and copy your Order Number for the next step.

Go to: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

Under the "Intuit refund request" blue header, click "Intuit" (because you paid Intuit directly for the e-file)
Fill in the order number, your email associated with that order number, and click "Find my order details"
You'll probably need to scroll down, but THERE IS NO scrollbar, so use TAB or your DOWN ARROW KEY to scroll down. Use SHIFT-TAB or your UP ARROW KEY to scroll up.
1. Select the item(s) to be refunded (in case you paid for more than 1 state)
2. Under What is the reason for refund?, I chose "Other Reason not listed"
3. Under Provide more detail (optional), I added "State e-file will NOT transmit and there has been no fix after weeks."
4. Enter your first name
5. Enter your last name
6. Enter your phone
7. Click submit
8. Save the "Refund request case number" to your computer.

Given that the earliest post on this was mid-February, it seems as if TT is moving very slow in addressing this, so I see no option but to file on paper, and will send it via USPS certified mail. 

MAV3RICK
Returning Member

I am not 100% sure this will work, but I had an issue with this tonight.  I've done some investigating and it looks like this is in reference to Form IT-8453-OL.  In my case, it was for Indiana, but I'm pretty sure all states have the same form.  To bypass this, make sure you have created a Pin number when completing the efile portion of your questionnaire.  This link is to the directions.  The form listed is an old form, but for this purpose, the directions are still valid.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8453ol--2002.pdf.  The directions are on listed on the second page.  Let me know if this helps your situation.

I gave up after repeatedly spacing out the fields, printed all of the forms and mailed the state tax return. And I had checked for updates. Today April 16 I went in to print a copy for my record, did another update, checked the form and got the same loop. On empty fields. This does not make me happy and is not what I paid for.

hI, NEITHER WILL MINE.... Keeps tell me to enter something then saying it should be blank. they have ripped us off for nj forty nine bucks for error messages. 

Plus the $25 to transmit the state return. I gave up and mailed mine. With all of the pertinent papers. And maybe some that were actually needed by the state. And this seems to be a long standing error, there are complaints from previous years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies