Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What W2's does Arkansas require for me to send when I file? The instructions just state all state copies of my W2's and 1099R's.

I just want to know if I have to include my W2's for every state I worked in or just Arkansas? I did not work in Arkansas in 2016 but did receive a tax return for 2015 and the state requires I report that.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

What W2's does Arkansas require for me to send when I file? The instructions just state all state copies of my W2's and 1099R's.

Strictly speaking, it's only your "Arkansas-source" W-2s and 1099-Rs that are absolutely necessary and required for the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (a.k.a. Revenue Department) to process your state tax return.

However, in order to avoid any (possible) delay caused by the state ever wanting to see your other W-2s and 1099-Rs at a later date, it's simply a good preventative step to include them all together.  If you have multiple states in which to file, and so you would face running out of original "tear-off" documents, then plain photocopies of your W-2 or 1099-R are an acceptable substitute.

Thus, while there may be only be a legal requirement to send Arkansas-source income W-2s and 1099-Rs, purely as a precaution, we would respectfully recommend including all those you have.  If Arkansas doesn't need them, then they'll just ignore them.  But if they want to see them, before releasing a state tax refund for example, that way they'll have them already.

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Strictly speaking, it's only your "Arkansas-source" W-2s and 1099-Rs that are absolutely necessary and required for the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (a.k.a. Revenue Department) to process your state tax return.

However, in order to avoid any (possible) delay caused by the state ever wanting to see your other W-2s and 1099-Rs at a later date, it's simply a good preventative step to include them all together.  If you have multiple states in which to file, and so you would face running out of original "tear-off" documents, then plain photocopies of your W-2 or 1099-R are an acceptable substitute.

Thus, while there may be only be a legal requirement to send Arkansas-source income W-2s and 1099-Rs, purely as a precaution, we would respectfully recommend including all those you have.  If Arkansas doesn't need them, then they'll just ignore them.  But if they want to see them, before releasing a state tax refund for example, that way they'll have them already.

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies