Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stocks gains for Colorado part year resident tax return

Hi, I moved to Texas in the month of November from Colorado and so Turbotax directed me to file colorado part year resident tax return.

At the page where I am asked to "Enter Capital gains/losses that you received on the sale of assests while  a colorado resident and/or on the property located in colorado", my federal return shows the amount I earned from stocks and Colorado is left blank. So, do I have to look into my Brokerage account and calculate the amount earned for the days I lived in Colorado or should I live it as 0.

Greatly appreciate any help i could get here

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Were you a resident of CO or of TX when you sold the stocks?

See "Unearned Income Allocations" in this TT help reference:

How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year s... (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thanks for taking time to follow up on my question. I was resident of Colorado when I sold the stocks.

Thank you @TomD8 for your response, I was resident of CO when I sold stocks. Could you please let me know if I should show it up in the state taxes for Colorado. Appreciate your help!

TomD8
Level 15

Yes.  As stated in the help reference from my previous answer, unearned income (such as a capital gain from the sale of stocks) should be allocated to the state you were a resident of when you received it. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies