Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

State unemployment NY and exclusion

@LenaH 

Hi Lena! Sorry I didn't see that you responded until now.

OK, so I was on unemployment for most of the year (all from NYS), so I did receive the $10,200 federal tax waver. I input "0" in the previous screen where it stated the negative number (as you demonstrated in the post above), but now with this screen, I am just confused as to why I wouldn't also put "0" since that is what I put before. I know the two screens mean different things... obviously.... but the entire thing is highly confusing since they feel like they are saying a similar thing. I don't really understand the whole "0" thing, which is probably why I'm so confused.

Here is a screen shot of the screen below for reference. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 2.34.35 PM.png

@LenaH 

I'm having the same issue here. I had NYS withhold 2.5% for State Taxes of my Unemployment Benefits, but the amount that TurboTax says I owe is much more than the state income tax bracket I would be in. 

If I enter 0 for this section (Unemployment Compensation Exclusion) if I put "0" in the box, the amount I owe looks like the correct amount of the remaining 3.4% (5.9-2.5=3.4) I would owe. Thanks for your help!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Unemployment compensation exclusion is zero for NY.

@ashrpicc

@tommybaker12

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it 🙂

@AmyC  

I don't think anyone answered the following question which someone else posted on previous page and a couple more people including me also asked: 

"After I enter 0 for the New York Allocation Page (where it has the -10,200), a few screens later brings me to the "Unemployment Compensation Exclusion" page. Here the compensation is a positive number (10,200). What am I meant to input into the New York Source portion? 0 again? Or 10,200. Greatly confused."

Could you answer this question please? Particularly about the "Unemployment Compensation Exclusion" page. Should NY sourced portion be 0 there as well?  This is the only thing that keeps me from submitting my return, and the deadline is approaching. 

@ekghsk 

she said it was 0

So it's 0 for both pages, correct? 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

For any NY paid unemployment questions in the NY return the entries follow these rules. 

If the question is asking about the NY portion of unemployment income the amount is all the unemployment benefit amounts paid by NY. 

If the question is asking about the NY portion of an exclusion of unemployment the answer is zero. 

The exclusion does not apply to NY.   

The income is NY, but the exclusion is not. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TYD85

Thank you for this! I actually had two "experts" tell me to enter my full NY W2 into that column rather than 0 which would've resulted in me paying thousands of dollars in taxes. I'm glad I decided to do a search before following their advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies