Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State taxes - resident/non-resident

I am an Indiana resident.  I work in Illinois, which is a considerable drive (3-4hrs). I have a small apartment in Illinois.  I will maintain my Indiana residency and homes there.  I'm home every weekend and holiday and many vacations.  I work remote maybe one week out of every month.  how do I file?

My primary employer is in illinois, and I run a small business in Indiana.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is no reciprocity between Indiana and Illinois.  you are an Indiana resident by your own admission.

all you Illinois and Indiana income is taxable by indiana 

your illinois wages are taxable in illinois

to escape having to pay taxes to two states on the same wages, Indiana allows a credit for part or all of the taxes paid to Illinois.

for TT purposes you need to do Illinois first so the proper credit transfers to Indiana 

illinois does not define you as a resident

You are an Illinois resident if you were domiciled in Illinois for the entire tax year. Your domicile is the place where you reside and the place where you intend to return after temporary absences

I would file illinois as a nonresident.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is no reciprocity between Indiana and Illinois.  you are an Indiana resident by your own admission.

all you Illinois and Indiana income is taxable by indiana 

your illinois wages are taxable in illinois

to escape having to pay taxes to two states on the same wages, Indiana allows a credit for part or all of the taxes paid to Illinois.

for TT purposes you need to do Illinois first so the proper credit transfers to Indiana 

illinois does not define you as a resident

You are an Illinois resident if you were domiciled in Illinois for the entire tax year. Your domicile is the place where you reside and the place where you intend to return after temporary absences

I would file illinois as a nonresident.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies