turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkleinau

Taxes for 2 different states MI and OR

My permanent residency is in Michigan, but I am temporarily residing in Oregon and all of my income earned (I have a single W-2) for 2016 was in Oregon. How do I know what income is taxed by both jurisdictions and what do I need for my Michigan tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

State tax law always refers to "domicile" when determining residency. 

• An individual may have many residences, or physical dwellings in which he resides, but can have only one domicile, or that permanent residence to which he intends to return. A review of states residency requirements show that 28 states use some definition of domicile to determine if a taxpayer is a resident.

If you believe Oregon is a temporary job site and that Michigan is your permanent residency then use the information below to prepare both a nonresident and resident state return.

Follow the steps here to select the residency status of both states.  Then prepare the nonresident return first and TurboTax will carry the information to the resident return, but monitor the screens to select "credit for taxes paid to another state".

1. With your return open, click the first tab, Personal Info.
  2. Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  3. Scroll down to the last section, Other State Income, and click Edit.
  4. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  5. Click Continue to return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  6. Next, select the State Taxes tab and check your residency status, change if necessary

Resident State:  All income worldwide is required to be reported on your resident state return.  Any money that is also taxed in a nonresident state allows you to use "credit for taxes paid to another state" when you complete your resident state return.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income.

Nonresident State: Any money earned in a nonresident state is required to be reported on that state tax return (with the exception of reciprocal agreements which does not apply in this case).  The nonresident state will tax any income earned while you were in that state. Complete this state return first.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

State tax law always refers to "domicile" when determining residency. 

• An individual may have many residences, or physical dwellings in which he resides, but can have only one domicile, or that permanent residence to which he intends to return. A review of states residency requirements show that 28 states use some definition of domicile to determine if a taxpayer is a resident.

If you believe Oregon is a temporary job site and that Michigan is your permanent residency then use the information below to prepare both a nonresident and resident state return.

Follow the steps here to select the residency status of both states.  Then prepare the nonresident return first and TurboTax will carry the information to the resident return, but monitor the screens to select "credit for taxes paid to another state".

1. With your return open, click the first tab, Personal Info.
  2. Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  3. Scroll down to the last section, Other State Income, and click Edit.
  4. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  5. Click Continue to return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  6. Next, select the State Taxes tab and check your residency status, change if necessary

Resident State:  All income worldwide is required to be reported on your resident state return.  Any money that is also taxed in a nonresident state allows you to use "credit for taxes paid to another state" when you complete your resident state return.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income.

Nonresident State: Any money earned in a nonresident state is required to be reported on that state tax return (with the exception of reciprocal agreements which does not apply in this case).  The nonresident state will tax any income earned while you were in that state. Complete this state return first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies