Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Return Rejected - Cannot refile on desktop - HELP

I filed my 2022 taxes on the 01/23 via TurboTax Desktop. My federal return was accepted, but my Indiana State return was rejected due to an error with the County Tax Rate that TurboTax put on the backend. I received an email letting me know I can edit and refile (with TurboTax assistance), but when I go to check, it shows pending and wont allow me to do anything. I checked on web version just to be sure, and of course the returns aren't there (not surprising since I did it on desktop). 

I was able to manually override the tax rate and apply the correct one that was listed on the IN DOR website. The question is, how do I go about resubmitting the state without having to do everything all over again, and paying? any ideas would be helpful.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, I spent over two hours on the phone with TurboTax and they could not figure it out. Quite disappointing given their mistake.

Anyway, the SOLUTION to this issue is deleting and redoing your state return:

1) Get on Desktop version

2) Open your FILED tax return

3) Go to "file"--> "Remove State Return"

4) Redo your state return (shouldn't be too bad since it should have everything saved)

5) File your state return. You will be prompt to only submit state since the federal return already happened

This should fix it as this fixed it for me.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Don't know if you can efile with overrides.  And most of the states aren't ready to efile yet.  But try updating the program with your federal efile status.  State cant be efiled unless federal was accepted.  For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return.  Then I would close Turbo Tax and reopen it.  

Federal was accepted and state was rejected shortly after.

I checked the status after 48 hours and still nothing. I also checked for updates to see if anything changed it and there were no updates. I assume its early, but seems like an oversight on TurboTax for not having the correct tax rate. It was more than what it actually is and as a result, I now get a refund instead of having to pay...

Side note- Im not sure it actually ever updates, I just checked the 2021 return using the 2021 desktop and it shows pending still after all this time. Updated the program and all.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You cannot e-file a return that contains any overrides. You can check the FAQ here to see the reasons you cannot e-file. 

Please delete the overrides applied, and then follow the instructions here to run an update on your software. 

If after updating you are still running into the same issue, please click here to contact us by phone so we can look into this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same issues.  I filed Federal and Indiana State on January 25th.  My federal taxes were immediately accepted and I already have my REFUND.  The STATUS on TT show both of my returns as PENDING.  It won't go away for either (even though I already have my federal refund!).  I can't refile my STATE (Indiana) until the PENDING goes away.   Using DESKTOP version with CD and downloaded updates.  It looks like my STATE county tax has been corrected (as now I'm getting a REFUND instead of owing the state).  Unfortunately, I can't refile do to this PENDING status that will not go away.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Why are you trying to re-file? Are you attempting to add (or change) info on your state return? If so, you will need to amend your return and this is done after your return has been accepted and any owed refund is dispersed.

It's possible that your state return is still pending.  Even if you filed your federal and state returns at the same time, your state may not start processing it at the same time as the IRS.   It's not unusual for state returns to remain in pending status several days after a federal return has been accepted. To track the status of your state return, please refer to your state's Department of Revenue website:  How do I track my state refund?

To address the inaccurate 'Pending' status for your federal refund, please check for updates or manually update your TurboTax software.

Additional Reference: How do I amend my state tax return? - Intuit

@rlahrman 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, I spent over two hours on the phone with TurboTax and they could not figure it out. Quite disappointing given their mistake.

Anyway, the SOLUTION to this issue is deleting and redoing your state return:

1) Get on Desktop version

2) Open your FILED tax return

3) Go to "file"--> "Remove State Return"

4) Redo your state return (shouldn't be too bad since it should have everything saved)

5) File your state return. You will be prompt to only submit state since the federal return already happened

This should fix it as this fixed it for me.

Thanks.  I'll try it! Sorry you had to be working on this for so long! !  Yikes! Two hours is ridiculous.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies