There are a few similar questions out there, but I'm not having luck.
I filed my Federal return by the deadline using Turbotax.
I filed state extensions for two states by the deadline and made an estimated payment to each state because I thought I would owe. I did not use turbotax to file this extension, I filed those directly with the states. I will use turbotax to file the state returns as it is much simpler.
I found the federal return place in turbotax where it says to enter extension payments by each state. I still can't find where on the state return it says enter the extension payments. Do I need to amend the federal return or do anything there so it will carry over? I will get most of the extension payments back as a refund.
State extension payments are entered in Deductions & Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid and not in the state programs. This is because state taxes paid can be a federal deduction. Amounts entered here will automatically transfer to the state that you selected next to the payment amount.
To enter your state estimated tax payments:
- Type estimated taxes in Search in the upper right
- Select Go to Estimated Tax Payments
- Scroll down to Payments with Extension
- START/REVISIT Payments with 2020 state extension
- Select your state(s) in the State dropdown menu and enter the 2020 state taxes paid with extension.
Thank you - I've entered "multiple states" and put the total amount of taxes paid to two states. Once I do that, where do I see that on my state returns? That is where I'm having trouble.
State extension payments will show up in the payments section of each state. Each state form is different so we'd have to know the specific state to tell you where to look. However, the state tax summary might help you.
If you are using TurboTax Online, check your state tax summaries.
- Click on Tax Tools in the left column
- Then Tools
- In the Tools Center box, select View Tax Summary
- On the left, click on a state tax summary. For example choose "MD Tax Summary" if your are filing a MD return.
- The tax summary will show Withholding, payments, credits or similar wording which will include your extension payment plus withholding and estimated payments (if applicable). If you know your withholding and other payment amounts, you can subtract those to confirm your extension payment.
- Click on your second state in the left column to view your other state.
- Select Back after you've checked both states to get back to the main TurboTax.
If you using the CD/Download version, click on Forms in the upper right. Once TurboTax changes into the Forms Mode, double click on the main state form in the left column and scroll down. You will probably see a line for estimated payments (each state is different).
Hello again. I am filing both MA and NY. Any advice you have about where to look would be appreciated.
My worry is that I already filed my federal return. Will that prevent the state return payments made with the extension from showing up on the state forms?
Thank you so much!
my old notes say.......
Since you've made multiple state extension payments, you will need to enter the total amount of state extension payments you've made. The program will enter this total on your federal return but you will need to go to each state return and enter the extension payment in the state interview for it to be accurately reported on yout state return.
For Online versions:
Although tedious and buried in TurboTax online, you can enter in payments made with extensions for multiple states. You have to go into the interview for each state and get to the section regarding filing an extension. Once there, you will need to say you are going to file an extension and then it will eventually trigger a screen asking for the payment amount you will make with the extension. Once the amount is entered it will populate on the corresponding form and you should see the TurboTax refund meter adjust accordingly.
Its probably near the very end of the state return.