turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello! I moved to CA from NY but kept my job in NY and I work remotely (telecommute) from my home. It appears both CA and NY want to tax my wages, is that accurate?

I moved to CA from NY in 2016 and I kept my NY job.  They have no presence in CA, so I'm working remotely.  I went to file a NY part resident/non-resident based on the date of the move, but they want to tax me on all my income for the year because NY was a source.

For CA, they also want to tax all of my wages.

Is this correct, should I be paying full in both states or should there be a deduction or special form for a tax credit to one state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CT1Y

Hello! I moved to CA from NY but kept my job in NY and I work remotely (telecommute) from my home. It appears both CA and NY want to tax my wages, is that accurate?

You would file 3 returns:

1. A part-year New York return covering income earned during the time as New York resident (including income from all states during this time period);
  2. A part-year California return covering income earned during the time as California resident (including income from all states during this time period);
  3. A nonresident New York return covering income earned during the time as California resident (including income earned from New York). 

You should prepare your returns in this order:

1. Nonresident New York (always do any nonresident returns first, so you can get the non-resident state tax credit)
  2. Part-year California
  3. Part-year New York

Here are more info:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302342
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300295

Why June - September? I moved in April.  When I file as part-year NY they want me to include all of my wages since the source is NY.  Should I not file in CA?
CT1Y

Sorry, that June-September range was for another similar question and was accidentally added here. I have fixed it and the revised answer now addresses your specific situation. Hope this helps!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies