turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I'm trying to claim my major purchases but the tax locations vary from my sales tax location. How do I enter these?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

So I'm trying to claim my major purchases but the tax locations vary from my sales tax location. How do I enter these?

Yes, you may set up different sales tax rates for different locations.

On the "Places You Lived" page, set up a separate line entry for each sales tax rate (click on screenshot below). The state can be the same, but the dates must not overlap. For the general sales tax calculation, set up one location for each span of dates with the appropriate sales tax rate for that period.

You may enter multiple major purchases for each location as long as the sales tax rate is the same.

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to search on "sales tax deduction", then click on the "jump to" link to go directly to the start of this topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is this still the accepted practice? What do you do for three rates with receipts that overlap dates?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies