Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SCARED. Can I get in trouble for claiming tax exempt when I was tax liable the previous year?

Hi I'm a bit scared. So this year I filed tax exempt so far and I can pay off the taxes owed by April because I'm getting a big raise. But now I've read that in order to claim exempt a had to not be tax liable the previous year. Last years return I owed $25 and paid it. Does this mean I was tax liable and could get in a lot of trouble for going exempt so far this year? Thanks for any help! Honest mistake and am worried about "perjury" and such. I should've read the tax rules before I did this 😕
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

SCARED. Can I get in trouble for claiming tax exempt when I was tax liable the previous year?

Although you shouldn't have done that, it won't be a big deal, ESPECIALLY if you start having 'extra' taxes withheld now.

Give your employer a new W-4, and fill it out with the intention of having plenty of taxes taken out.  Filling out "Single" with "0" allowances takes out the most taxes.  You can even enter an 'extra' dollar amount to be taken out each paycheck.

By December 31st, if you have had enough taxes taken out that you will receive a refund when you file your taxes, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Although you shouldn't have done that, it won't be a big deal, ESPECIALLY if you start having 'extra' taxes withheld now.

Give your employer a new W-4, and fill it out with the intention of having plenty of taxes taken out.  Filling out "Single" with "0" allowances takes out the most taxes.  You can even enter an 'extra' dollar amount to be taken out each paycheck.

By December 31st, if you have had enough taxes taken out that you will receive a refund when you file your taxes, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thank you!! My employer has an online program so I just switched it to single and zero even though I just got married last month. I'm not worried about oweing so much as some kind of criminal charge. Thanks for your help and putting my mind at ease.

If you have enough taxes taken out that you will receive a refund, the IRS will never even know that you put "exempt" on the W-4.  So there is nothing to worry about.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies