turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Save taxes for next year

A few years ago I decided to carry my State taxes over to the following year I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my money each year and I can’t figure it out. How do I go about collecting the money I wanted to save until the following year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Save taxes for next year

What?  Each tax year must be filed separately.  You cannot "save" your state returns to file later with another year.  If you used TurboTax to prepare your federal returns for the past years in question then you need to go back to those returns and add the state returns using the software for those years to prepare the state returns.  Sadly, since the online software is now retired for any year except 2018, you will need to purchase and download the desktop software for those years in order to use TurboTax to prepare the past year returns.  That software must be downloaded to a full PC or Mac--not to a mobile device.  And you cannot e-file a prior year return.  It has to be printed, signed and mailed.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

Your other option, which would be lower cost, would be to get the paper forms from your state's tax website and prepare the past year state returns by hand and mail them in.  You will need copies of the relevant federal returns in front of you in order to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

Note:  You say you came up with this idea "a few years ago"-- it it too late to get a refund for any tax year earlier than 2016.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Save taxes for next year

If you hadn't figured it out, your state revenue department should have made the refund credit for you. 

If so, an expected refund would be larger, or a tax due paid would be reduced and refunded to you.

You need to peruse your paper copies of the relevant returns and the final results to confirm this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies