Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will 2022 Alabama tax forms be finalized?

I have attempted to print my 2022 Alabama taxes, and am getting a error that states Can not view, print or file Alabama taxes until they are finalized. I have checked updates for fed and state, and they are update. I am using the desktop cd version. When will forms be finalized? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I share your frustration, as they moved the date from February 9 to February 23.  This morning I was hopeful as Turbotax updated and downloaded more Alabama tax data but apparently the forms still haven't been finalized. I am thinking about going to the Alabama Department of Revenue's My Alabama Taxes website to file online, for free. What I fail to understand is why they don't allow these files to be printed out with DO NOT FILE watermark on them.  This would allow us to have a draft hard copy.  Turbotax did that in the past.

I am using Turbotax Deluxe on Windows 10.

What is meant by "February 9 to February 23"?  Tax season has started.  These forms should be available.  What is the cause of the delay?  State of Alabama or Turbotax?

Initially, Turbotax had the finalization date set at February 9.  I checked a little later and it was moved back to February 23.  It's most likely a Turbotax problem, as it is possible to download and print out the 2022 Form 40 from the Alabama Department of Revenue website.  I Googled H&R Block and all of their Alabama forms have been finalized. And we can't even print ours out in DRAFT form!  You can e-file for free at MyAlabamaTaxes.GOV, which I will do if no further progress is made this week.  (https://myalabamataxes.alabama.gov).

Follow-up....I just e- filed my taxes online at no charge with My Alabama Taxes (MAT). 

I get the same message.  This is a turbotax issue.  I have bought their product for several years and this is the last year.  Customer service rep with turbotax told me on the phone the date for finalization was Feb 17.  Now I'm seeing the 23rd.  

What gives turbotax?  

And prior to that, it was the 9th.  On top of that, we must have to pay a fee (that keeps increasing each year) if we want to e-file State through Turbotax.  That's why I chose to e-file directly with the Alabama Department of Revenue. I had to key in data manually, and there were no fancy graphics, but it was free.  This is what I plan to do from now on.

I too have been trying to get the answer to this question.   I've used TT for many years and NEVER had this issue.  I will be switching to HR Block.

I'm planning to give H&R Block a try next year, though it's not a perfect world. I have used them before, and they were very similar to Turbotax.   Remember that the grass looks greener from a distance.  

curtiscpa

how can you see that the adjusted date is 2/23/2023 for the Alabama returns being final?

Turbotax does provide a list of State forms and finalization dates.  Unless there has been a recent change, it should be 23 February for AL.  The link has been posted on this forum previously and I have copied it below : For RETURN TYPE Select 1040, then for AGENCY select Alabama.

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

Yes, this is getting aggrivating.  I bought Turbotax in mid January to get my taxes completed.  Well, they are complete and I can't do anything with them.  Since 1995 I have been using Turbotax every year and had no problems at all.  This must be finished by tomorrow or I want my money back.

I am thinking of doing that myself this year as last year AL lost part of my printed/mailed forms during the processing of my return  (Yeah, Whoo Hoo!) and sent a notice (in late November 2022) to the IRS who got involved.  After getting an appt. with the IRS the IRS said they don't know why AL alerted them as my Fed forms were accepted and I was good to go! I then went to the local State office and they faxed a copy I had of my AL 40 return to AL.  I haven't heard anything back good or bad since then.....   Is completing the AL 40 at MAT a pain or is it pretty much straight forward?

It would have been easier if I could have printed out my Turbotax AL return. Now that they are printable, it should be fairly easy. Besides the info on your Form 40 printout, you will need your W-2 and/or 1099-R (if retired).  I did have to go back to the previous step a few times, but this was no problem, as I became familiar with the format.  Of course, all data had to be keyed in, but this was less a pain than having to pay Turbotax the e-filing fee (that's twice what it was a few years ago and still going up). My return was reviewed and approved today.  The only quibble I have is a $2 discrepancy in the refund amount, but it looks like this was corrected after the return was reviewed (I am a stereotypical Scotsman when it comes to nickel and dime issues!).  One positive thing is that questions to MAT get answered fairly quickly via email.

I'm half Scottish.  The good half.  I was able to print my forms out yesterday and e-filed using the state website.  Another year in the books!  Have a great year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies