Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing my Kansas state return turbotax automatically inputs my unemployment compensation from federal and asks for the state amount. Is that the same amount or 0?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

When filing my Kansas state return turbotax automatically inputs my unemployment compensation from federal and asks for the state amount. Is that the same amount or 0?

It is the same amount. Per the Kansas Department of Labor, unemployment benefits are considered regular income for tax purposes, and are subject to both federal and state income taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Follow up question: On the next page turbotax asks to enter the portion of the following items you received from sources in Kansas, if none enter zero. 

Other Federal Adjustments and lists a federal amount. Do I enter that amount for Kansas as well? 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are a Kansas resident, then the entire amount is sourced in Kansas. You would only enter 0 if you were filing multi-state returns and the unemployment was considered sourced from another state. 

I have attached a picture below of Part B of Schedule S (Kansas Supplemental Schedule). The income allocation would be 100% from a Kansas source. Therefore, the amount from the federal tax return should match the amount from the Kansas source on Line B11. 

@tkelliott7

So if my residency is in another state my answer is 0? 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. If you are a nonresident of Kansas and it is not Kansas unemployment benefits, then you would enter 0 for it being Kansas sourced. 

@tkelliott7

I have a similar issues. I received unemployment benefits in both Massachusetts and Connecticut in 2020. When I filed the Massachusetts tax return, TurboTax was unable to separate unemployment benefits in the two states.
Massachusetts taxed the sum of my MA and CT unemployment benefits. How to solve this problem?

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@JeanFd  If MA was your state of residence, then all income is taxed by MA with a credit given for income taxed by other states. Check your MA return for a credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies