turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

otto

What is the status of my state refund.It says it is started what does this mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the status of my state refund.It says it is started what does this mean?

If your efiled Federal return has been accepted, and if all the Illinois state forms you need are available, you should be able to go back and open up your State return to complete and file it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

State forms availability dates:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per...

NOTE:  When you go back to your account to finish and file your return, you "may" see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up.  Don't make any changes to the Federal return, since it has already been filed.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.  Continue in that section until it says "Done with State" (or similar words.)
  • Also step through the REVIEW tab to run the error check and be sure all is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section to select a filing method, and choose to file only the State return.
  • If efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit My Returns Now."
  • If filing by mail, you will need to print, sign, and mail the return yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

A state return status of "started" means you likely tried to efile it alongside the Federal return, but some of the state forms were not yet ready.

Did you efile the Federal return, and if so, has it been accepted?   If so, we can tell you how to open up the State return to finish and file it.

What state is it?
otto

Illinois
searabis

It has been accepted and already got the refund

searabis:
"What" has  been accepted and already got the refund?   Are you referring to a Federal or a State refund?    What is it you need to know?   Does your state return say "started" and has not been filed?  If so, the answer below tells how to finish filing a state return.

Or did you already get a state refund and it still says "started" when you look in your account?
searabis

I already got my federal refund but my state statue says started do I need to do anything more with my state taxes
searabis

Where do you find to file state only when transmitting it because it wants to do federal at the same time

"Started" means the state return has NOT been filed.   My answer below tells how to go back and efile a state return that says "started."

However, if you are getting a duplicate SSN error because it's trying to efile the Federal, too, see this FAQ, which has a workaround.    If you're getting that error, you have to first "fool" the program by choosing to mail it and then for the Federal return choosing "I'm not ready to file."  Then you should be able to choose to efile just the state return.  See the instructions in this FAQ:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4210149">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4210149</a>

If your efiled Federal return has been accepted, and if all the Illinois state forms you need are available, you should be able to go back and open up your State return to complete and file it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

State forms availability dates:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per...

NOTE:  When you go back to your account to finish and file your return, you "may" see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up.  Don't make any changes to the Federal return, since it has already been filed.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.  Continue in that section until it says "Done with State" (or similar words.)
  • Also step through the REVIEW tab to run the error check and be sure all is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section to select a filing method, and choose to file only the State return.
  • If efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit My Returns Now."
  • If filing by mail, you will need to print, sign, and mail the return yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.
Lisha Hitchcock 32
Returning Member

Hi, I was wondering why my federal status says accepted with the return amount, but my state says started. I did them exactly the way I did last year answered all of the questions that applied to me. I did notice that I have a home heating  credit form that says it will be ready 2/6/20 to e-file, I really don’t need this form, if that’s why there is a hold up on my state.

@Lisha Hitchcock 32 wrote:

Hi, I was wondering why my federal status says accepted with the return amount, but my state says started. I did them exactly the way I did last year answered all of the questions that applied to me. I did notice that I have a home heating  credit form that says it will be ready 2/6/20 to e-file, I really don’t need this form, if that’s why there is a hold up on my state.

This is an old answered thread from 2 years ago about 2017 returns that transferred into this new forum when the the new forum started a few months ago.  But some of the principles remain the same.

If the status of a state return is "started", that means it hasn't been finished and filed in that account.   We won't know anything in this user forum about your specific return and why your state return is unfinished.

If all your state forms you need are not yet available for efiling, you should be able to click the REVIEW tab to see what forms you are waiting for.   Or you can look up your state forms availability with this table:

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

You wrote:  "I have a home heating credit form that says it will be ready 2/6/20 to e-file, I really don’t need this form."

If there is a form that you are  SURE you do not need,  you can delete it.  Log into your account, open your return (see steps in Answer above if needed), then in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.   Then there should be an option to Delete a Form.    Then run the REVIEW and error check again before efiling.   It's also a good idea to print out the final return before filing to review line by line.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

A status of "started" means that your return has not been filed yet. Please click the link below for state forms availability to see if your state return needs an additional form prior to filing. 

State forms availability table for TurboTax indivi ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies