turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DcBrucelee
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is form 540and why do I have to wait for it

My bad. I guess something to do with my computer. I uninstalled the program, clean out temp and cache files then reinstall. It's all good now 🙂 Thank you for your help.

pittz
Returning Member

Your message (answer) is from January 12th, that is not a current answer. I want to know now April 2nd what the problem is with California forms.  Your tout how wonderful you are in helping your customers; how about updating the problems?

pittz
Returning Member

Why would someone have to wait until the Federal return is accepted before filing the state return? Did this come from Turbo Tax?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@pittz

This TurboTax FAQ states among other things, "...

it's no longer possible to e-file state returns before the federal.

This adds an extra layer of security to all e-filed state returns"

It's not clear to me if this is a state requirement - I haven't search all 41 states with an income tax - but since the states normally derive their starting state income from the federal income and many states also want federal forms attached to the state return, it makes sense that the state would want to requires that the federal return at least be accepted before accepting the state.

Otherwise, a taxpayer could file gibberish at the state level with made-up federal numbers...forcing the taxpayer to file the federal return at the same time or even before the state reduces the likelihood that the state will have to deal with gibberish.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kemcp

I received an email from Turbotax stating Form 540 was ready and to pick up where I left on and finish/complete my return. But when I tried to do that I get the same "error" message.  I've tried to Clear & Start Over but was denied that too. Today is 1/28/21 so there shouldn't be a problem. I am not receiving any helpful information from the chat help.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Form 540 is the California Individual Income Tax form used to report your state income taxes.

If you have already tried to file your income taxes and paid, you will not be able to clear and start over. 

I recommend waiting another day or so and try filing then.  It may just be taking an extra day or so for the updates to load.

I have also attached a link with the anticipated form release dates for California.  It is also possible there is another form in your state return that hasn't been finalized yet for filing.

California form availability dates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mdurkan53

Do I need to fill out a 540 form? If so, why do I need this? I have never filled one out before. 

I am not self employed. 

Thank you, 

Maureen Durkan 

Robert Hone 

Did you see the answer right above your post?  The 540 is the California tax return.  Do you need to file a return for California?

@mdurkan53 wrote:

Do I need to fill out a 540 form? If so, why do I need this? I have never filled one out before. 

I am not self employed. 

Thank you, 

Maureen Durkan 

Robert Hone 

The Form 540 is the California Resident Income Tax Return - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-540.pdf

rrosalinda
Returning Member

To: Champ xmasbabyO Level 15

The  reference reply is dated January 12, 2020 yet with the same situation as my problem now. BUT my problem  refers to the Turbo Tax software for tax year 2020 for filing this year 2021.  I have e-filed my 2020 Federal returns and was accepted.  But the California returns transmission cannot be completed.  The screen shows "FAILED_VALIDATION.  There is an update available for your version of Turbo Tax. Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update.  To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates".

I have checked with the Online Menu  for updates several times, and every time it says "Your software is up to date". I don't know anymore what else to do to get the required update so that I can e-file my 2020 California State returns. I am also wanting to file it ASAP, the latest on October 15, 2021,  because of the California State Stimulus payment.

I will be very grateful for your help.

@rrosalinda Is this the Mac or Windows version?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies