Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

girrlexpress116
Returning Member

What does “ printed next to state tax return mean ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@girrlexpress116wrote:  "What does 'printed' next to state tax return mean?"

If it says "printed" at the Tax Home, it means it hasn't yet been filed,  unless you printed and mailed it.   How do you want to file it?   Do you want to print, sign, date, and file by mail?  Or do you want to open up your return and efile?

girrlexpress116
Returning Member

I want to efile

Have you already efiled the Federal return, and if so, has it been accepted?

You can either efile the Federal and state returns at the same time, or if you already efiled the Federal first, it has to be accepted before you can efile the state return.

Here's how to get back in to efile:

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is still in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section and choose/change the filing method to efile.
  • If you already efiled the Federal previously, and it's been accepted, choose to only efile the state return.
  • Then continue on through all the remaining screens, and at the final step click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."

@girrlexpress116 

ADDENDUM:

If you already efiled the Federal return, and it was accepted, then don't make any changes in the Federal side when you open the return back up.   If it's necessary to do so, report back first.

@girrlexpress116 

Also, I should have asked, and you didn't say, but are you referring to a current 2019 state return?   My answers above assume you were referring to a 2019 state return.   If you are referring to a prior-year state return, then the answer would be completely different and require another approach, since a prior-year return cannot be efiled.

jahmiyyah

Yes I want to file my state taxes can you help me do it

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online software, select File down the left side of the screen and follow the directions.

Have you already filed your Federal 1040 tax return?  This TurboTax Help states:

You can use TurboTax to prepare and file your federal return without your state—but not the other way around.....You'll need to print and mail your state return, as state returns can't be e-filed on their own.

@jahmiyyah 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies