Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2

I also have a question regarding KS tax. I work both in Kansas and Missouri. My W2 shows total wages earned in Box 1. $47,000  from KS and MO and fed taxes withheld.  But when I go down on the W2 to lines 15, 16 and 17. 

Line 15.  
KS         16.  $15,612.    17.  $573    ( Isn't this suppose to be taxed for Total amount earned in Box 1?}
MO.      16.  $31,899     17.   $900 

I am having to pay in a bunch for KS taxes . did my employer just tax me on what I earned in KS? 

Can someone tell me which way this should of been taxed and is the amount for Kansas tax withheld is wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

W2

To answer this question, I'm assuming that you are a resident of Kansas (KS).  As a Kansas resident, all of your income is taxable by Kansas regardless of where it was earned.  If you work in Missouri (MO) as a non-resident, the income you earn in MO is taxable by them.  Since all of your income is taxable by Kansas, you will report 100% of it as taxable income on your Kansas resident tax return - $47,000.  On your MO non-resident return, you will report $31,899 as income taxable by MO.  To prevent you from being double taxed, KS will give you a credit for tax paid to MO.  The credit will be the amount of KS tax on that amount, so it may be less than the amount you pay to MO, but it will not be more.  So, the way your employer allocated your earnings is probably the best way to do it, assuming your KS tax on the income earned is MO is approximately the same or more than the actual MO tax you have to pay.

When completing your state tax returns, you should complete your non-resident MO return first and then your KS return.  This will result in the KS credit for tax paid to other states being properly calculated.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W2

I am having to pay in KS tax about $400  even with credit from MO.. My employer only taxed what I earned in KS  on the $15,612 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

W2

I recommend  you monitor your tax withholding periodically throughout the year (at least quarterly) to make sure that your tax withholding is being done correctly.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies