Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsundra
Returning Member

Virginia State LLC for 502A

This is my first time filing my small business taxes in the state of Virginia. In the past I have used an accountant to do it. In the past the accountant used form 502 but this year TT is saying that I need to submit for 502A. My accountant hasnt done that in past.  All of my business takes place in the state of Virginia. Nothing from outside states.  What have I done wrong that is telling TT that I need form 502A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You can go into TurboTax Business and revisit the State tab

Verify you have selected Virginia as State Where Incorporated or Organized on the Virginia General Information Page.

If Virginia is selected, continue through the interview until you reach the Uncommon Virginia Situations screen and verify the Commercial domicile is not in Virginia is not selected.

I too am having problems with the 502a issue.  Both screens are marked as you suggest.  However, in review before filing, it is trying to force me to enter one of the section a options (they are turned pink as if I should enter something but none of them relate to me).  Is there a way to get past this review link or override it?  Is this a TT software issue?  The only reason I'm using the software is to electronically file the simple 502 and vk1 files since the state requires it.  So far, a waste of money.

Austin

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

In the upper right corner of your display is a toggle between Forms and Step by Step Mode. 

Go into Forms mode and select the 502A form from the list on the left side of the screen. 

You can delete the 502A forms at the bottom of the screen. 

Then toggle back to Step by Step and recomplete the Virginia interview to generate the 502 form.

The system still forces me back to review the files 'one last time' before it will let me efile.  While it does not recreate the Form 502a, it forces me back through the checking process where it does not let me pass go.  This suggestion did not work.

The only way I've found to get around it is to enter false data in one of the 502a Section A Apportionment method options.  I chose option 9 Multi-factor and entered $1 in Sales Factor Column A and B.  It did the math and changed the form although no numbers on 502 were affected.  I am just concerned that it triggers an error by the State reviewing process and bounces my filing back as an error.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

There should be no issue with the state.  The return is a pass-through entity.  You could seek a TurboTax Live agent to look at your return before you file if you wish to see why the 502A is still present and try to remove it for you.  They have the ability with SmartLook to view your return and guide you screen by screen.

Same issue here.  I can't seem to get rid of the 502A right now.  I'm also in Virginia.  In the review TT says it thinks the EIN should start with 38 for a VA corp. Ours starts with 83.  TT coding error?  Wasting one hell of a lot of time on what should be simple and helpful.

This just worked for me and passed the review without blowing up although the delete has to be selected from the edit tab at the top.  What a pain.

alanham

I have no 502a form listed. Spent 1hr on the phone with Intuit and was told to call IRS. How do you get around this. Have checked all the entires and nothing indicates outside of Virginia. 

Duane2020

Had this problem last year and again this.  Something is wrong with my data or with Turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies