turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jstxtr
Returning Member

VA Return Adjusted - Overpayment

Turbotax calculated my VA 2019 state tax, which I paid. In August 2020, I received a letter, subject as above, along with a check for $696.62 as a "refund". I received a Form 1099-G for $10.01 in "interest" paid  on the refund. Turbotax seems to have screwed up the 2019 calculations. How do you explain this and can I trust turbotax for 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to find out why you received the refund to determine what happened. If the refund was the result of something that was not entered or entered incorrectly into the TurboTax program, then it wouldn't indicate that there was a problem with the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jstxtr
Returning Member

ThomasM125

The letter from the VA state tax authority is quoted below. I took my tax-related information and plugged it into the turbotax worksheet by following the turbotax prompts.

“We have adjusted your income tax return for 2019 , as shown on the enclosed Summary of Adjustments.

• “Your deductible Schedule A Medical and Dental Expenses were adjusted
  • “Your itemized deduction has been adjusted to agree with your Schedule A [doubled the itemized deduction by +$11,216.00]
  • “A adjustment was made in calculating your Virginia taxable income (Line 9- Line 13) [adjusted taxable income by -$11,215.00]
  • “An adjustment was made in calculating the amount of income tax due based on your Virginia taxable income. See tax rate schedule in the instruction booklet.”

“Based on this information, your account has been overpaid by $696.62.”

jstxtr

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you would be willing to submit your information so it can be reviewed, help is always appreciated. Please see our Accuracy Guarantee to assist.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies