turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Truncated W-2 SSN preventing Illinois e-file?

My employer took advantage of the new IRS option  to truncate SSNs on W-2s to help prevent identity theft.  This is good, however when I complete my Illinois return in TurboTax I receive a message stating "Return has a W-2 SSN that does not match the taxpayer's or spouse's SSN/ITIN on the return" and therefore I can't e-file.  I'm guessing this is because of the truncation.  I still have the option to file by mail, but resolving this issue to once again permit e-filing would be preferable.  I'm curious if this issue is being worked by Illinois/TurboTax for the 2020 tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not sure.....I suspect that you imported that W-2......otherwise the software would use your full SSN that you entered in the Personal Information section, and then it would go thru normally.

What you should do  (my opinion) is delete that W-2 entirely (Federal section)  and enter it again, but enter it manually...typing in the data yourself, from a paper copy of the form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Not sure.....I suspect that you imported that W-2......otherwise the software would use your full SSN that you entered in the Personal Information section, and then it would go thru normally.

What you should do  (my opinion) is delete that W-2 entirely (Federal section)  and enter it again, but enter it manually...typing in the data yourself, from a paper copy of the form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Deleting the W-2 that I had imported and replacing it with a manually entered version did indeed resolve the issue.  My Illinois return is now eligible for e-file.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies