turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I apply my Illinois (state) refund to next year's taxes? Cannot undo refund.

Line 36 of the IL-1040 needs to be zeroed-out, but is locked, with a full refund amount.  I want that amount to fall down to line 38, "Amount to be credited forward."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do I apply my Illinois (state) refund to next year's taxes? Cannot undo refund.

In TurboTax on Form IL-1040-ES, the Estimated Tax Worksheet, Part II, click an “X” into line 2c, “Apply to extent of total estimated tax and refund excess.”  Since my total estimated tax exceeded the over-payment amount, all of the over-payment was applied to state taxes for the next year and the refund amount consequently became zero, what I wanted done.

key002

To apply your IL refund for 2018 to your 2019 taxes, it's very different than prior answers. Here's how you do it now.

Select: State Taxes/ Other situations/ Estimate tax payments for next year/ Yes/ No/ Yes/ (Enter same # shown)/ continue/ (enter same numbers shown)/ continue/ continue/ continue/ select 100% of your actual 2018 tax/ continue/ Apply all (of your tax overpayment to next year)

You do the above even if you don't want to make estimates because if you select you do NOT want to make estimates for next year, it kicks you back out and you can't get to the end where you can apply your overpayment to next yr.

It took me a solid hour to find this after going through literally every screen twice. It took so long because I never figured the overpayment selection would be "hidden" at the end of a long series of tax estimate questions (including if I'm a farmer) that often do not apply to those who simply want their refund carried over each year.

Hey Turbotax, how about adding a simple "check box" to select this next year? Or if not, maybe add "jump to" lines on the review pages for a few key links to save customers hours of hunting. Just a thought!

Two years later, and SOS. Come on TurboTax, fix this.

I couldn't find this worksheet for 2020.

I used this method in 2020 and it worked.  The forms were not quite the same as you described.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@nello. Are you using TurboTax Online. There is no worksheet in the online version. To apply part or all of your state refund to next year:

• Continue in the Illinois section until you are near the end.
  • When you reach A few things before we wrap up your state taxes select Estimate tax payments for next year
  • Say YES to Do You Want to Pay Illinois Estimated Taxes for 2021?
  • Answer or skip all the questions until you see Apply Overpayment?
  • Choose how much you want applied to next year.

Illinois says you must make estimated income tax payments if you reasonably expect your tax liability for the year to exceed $1,000 after subtracting your Illinois withholding, pass-through withholding payments, and tax credits for

• income tax paid to other states,
  • Illinois Property Tax paid,
  • education expenses,
  • the Earned Income Credit, and
  • Schedule 1299-C, Income Tax Subtractions and Credits (for individuals).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies