turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The 2020 NC state filing does not allow entering the previous year's advance tax payments

As the subject says, I have the receipts for advance tax payments to the state for 2020, however, TT does not facilitate entering this information; thus, the state tax amount due is incorrect.

Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The 2020 NC state filing does not allow entering the previous year's advance tax payments

Sure it does...

For the desktop software  (Online software is similar, but sections are worded slightly different)

....in the Federal section

....on  the "Deductions&Credits" page

...Down in the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid"  section

.......there is an "Estimates" sub-section enter in there and there is a specific menu item for state estimated tax payments where you can enter the dates , and amounts you paid for 2020 state taxes.

If the payment was actually part of your 2019 state refund that you let them keep for 2020 estimated taxes...then you go in at the "Other Income Taxes" menu item to find the "2019 Refund applied to 2020 state taxes" entry area.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sure it does...

For the desktop software  (Online software is similar, but sections are worded slightly different)

....in the Federal section

....on  the "Deductions&Credits" page

...Down in the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid"  section

.......there is an "Estimates" sub-section enter in there and there is a specific menu item for state estimated tax payments where you can enter the dates , and amounts you paid for 2020 state taxes.

If the payment was actually part of your 2019 state refund that you let them keep for 2020 estimated taxes...then you go in at the "Other Income Taxes" menu item to find the "2019 Refund applied to 2020 state taxes" entry area.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain, thanks for the help!!  I just let TT lead me along and we both missed that one.

Cheers!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies