Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CMA1

State E-filing

I e-filed Federal a few weeks ago.  Tried to come back and now e-file state return.  First it says I didn't e-file Federal, which is a surprise, since I already have the refund.  I went back through the whole process to try to get it to file state.  I get to the Transmit Returns and of course there it tells me the Federal return is already e-filed, so it won't do the filing.  What????  How can I get the state e-filed?  This seems like a real flaw with Turbo Tax.  You really can't change your mind about mailing state and come back later and e-file?  And, what becomes of the credit card charge it appears to have already taken since that goes out to another site?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

State E-filing

Go through the screens in the REVIEW section, and see if it tells you why  you are not yet able to efile the state return.

Normally, the Federal and State returns can be efiled at the same time.   However, if the Federal return is efiled first separately, then the State return cannot be efiled until the Federal return has been accepted.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CMA1

State E-filing

The Federal Return has already been accepted.  In fact, the refund has already been received.  The message tells me that the federal return has to be e-filed before the state return can be filed.  So, for whatever reason the system doesn't seem to know that the federal return has been accepted and filed.

CMA1

State E-filing

So here's what ultimately happened.  Very strange.  When I went back into the program, it had created another "return".  When I opened that one, it seemed then to realize that federal had been transmitted and finally let me send state as well.  VERY CONFUSING!

State E-filing

Glad you got it worked out.  I think you have to update your return with the filing status so it knows federal was Accepted.  

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return, close it and reopen it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies