turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mimi3586
Returning Member

Residency and state taxes

I worked for the same employer and lived  in Maryland for all of 2019. In 2020 I moved to West Virginia but still worked in Maryland. I have never worked in West Virginia or had any income from West Virginia but my W2 says I made money in both states! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Your W-2 does not say you made money in both states.  It only says you had income tax withheld for both states.  You employer did it correctly.  

MD & WV are "reciprocal states". Once you moved to WV, you employer shoulda stopped withholding MD tax and started withholding WV tax.  You are now only taxed, on wages/salary,  by WV, not MD. Staring in 2021, you will not longer file a MD tax return. 

for MD, if you haven't done so already you should submit form MW507 to your employer so only WV income taxes are withheld. some employers may do the correct withholding automatically without the form

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/current_forms/mw507.pdf 

Mimi3586
Returning Member

Box 15 has both MD & WV and there are 2 different amounts in box 16 & 17

Mimi3586
Returning Member

I moved to West Virginia in June 2019 and updated my state withholding information with my employer at that time. I’m not sure what’s going here

Mimi3586
Returning Member

I left Maryland in June 2019 so I don’t have any Maryland income for 2020

TomD8
Level 15

If you moved to WV in 2019, your employer should not have withheld ANY MD taxes for 2020.

If you haven't already done so, submit MD Form MW507 (as @Mike9241 stated) to your MD employer ASAP, checking the West Virginia box on Line 4.

For your 2020 tax returns, enter your W-2 exactly as is.

For 2020, file a non-resident 2020 tax return to MD, showing zero MD income.  This will cause MD to refund the incorrectly withheld MD taxes. 

File a 2020 resident tax return to WV.  All your 2020 income is taxable by your 2020 home state of WV.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies