turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Printing CA State Return 2019

I tried to print state return, but the program says it can't print because some forms are not finalized.  What does that mean?  The program says the return was accepted by the State.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the attached for details on when the forms can be printed for California.

Some forms are still being finalized by the state.

CA forms scheduled release date

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I  should be able to print my return even if the forms aren't finalized and it is 1/30/20, why aren't these forms ready?   The one form (5805) that says 2/6/20, FTB has on their website, so why isn't it here and ready?   The 540 should be able to be reviews and printed so I can see it at this point.   

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Ca is really behind on releasing their forms. Turbo Tax uses drafts but can not do anything until CA gives the okay. You can check CA forms availability.

Please note that there are many CA forms that are unsupported for e-file this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm not trying to e-file, but I would really like to print my return so I can check it over and make sure everything looks right.   It does not make sense that I cannot even look at it even if the forms are not ready and I don't believe that because the forms are on the FTB website, so what's holding up Intuit?

My CA return has been e-filed, submitted and accepted by the state. Why can't I view or print the forms? You cant blame CA for this !

@ DaveinCA wrote:

My CA return has been e-filed, submitted and accepted by the state. Why can't I view or print the forms? You cant blame CA for this !

ADDENDUM  1/31/2020 at 4:08 Pacific
  These steps below were for the Online version, not the desktop (CD/download).  I incorrectly assumed you were using Online TurboTax.   

Are you unable to download/print the PDF at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents?"    The Federal and state returns should be in the same PDF.  But sometimes in early filing season, the PDF that one obtains in that location might not have updated with your recently-filed returns.

If not, here is a way to open the return back up and print at the Print Center.  

NOTE:   Do NOT make any changes in the return when you open it in case you have to amend it later.  Keep it as originally filed.

• Log in, and at the Tax Home or down at "Your Tax Returns & Documents" (and tax year 2019), click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer 3 options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

When I go to Forms view, I can see the individual forms in my CA state return. But any attempt to print or save them gives me the message that "Your California return(s) is currently unavailable to view, print, or download because some of the forms haven't been finalized yet."

This is disturbing because I CAN see them and they have already been transmitted (I hope) and accepted by the state.

Something is wrong in the software.

Sorry.  My answer above was for Online TurboTax.   I'll revise that and make it clear.

If you have Forms View, then that tells me you are using desktop product (CD/download).   Are you using Mac or Windows version?

First use the updater, and be sure your software has the latest program updates.  Last night was the normal night for an update release.   Then once updated, reboot (restart) your computer.  Then try to print again.

There are only a couple of CA forms that are not yet available for printing purposes even though they were available for efiling.    You can check these tables to see if that explains anything:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

Report back if you still can't print after checking for updates and rebooting, and please indicate Windows or Mac version.

marionb

Great directions got my taxes printed

The latest update seems to have done the trick. I can now save and print all forms. Thank you!

I can't print my business (trust) tax return for California (one of them). The other one did. Statement is "form not available"... purchased CA fiduciary return.

Time is getting short here.

@Steven Davis wrote:

I can't print my business (trust) tax return for California (one of them). The other one did. Statement is "form not available"... purchased CA fiduciary return.

Time is getting short here.

You're posting in an old thread where your comment may or may not be seen.  Normally it's best to start one's own new thread where it shows up as unanswered to the whole forum.   This thread was originally started in regards to a personal tax product.   Fewer people use the dedicated Business Edition.

I'll assume you have run the updater and have the latest updates.   So if no one responds in this thread, you may wish to start a new thread for greater visibility to see if anyone comments. 

To start a new thread,  you can use the blue "Ask a Question" button at the link below.  The question line is limited in space, and is for a title summary of your question.  There is a box below it with plenty of room for details. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

Or you can phone TurboTax Support.   You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and select the Business Edition.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

New question asked - thank you.

WA2020

I am using CD/Download windows version. I updated the software yet still unable to view or print CA return, what I am missing. All CA forms should be available. 

Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies