turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part-Time Resident Filing California and Nevada -- how to make Turbotax do the right thing?

As a Nevada resident living part of the year in California, how do I get Turbotax to ask the right questions?  In Interview Mode, TurboTax H&B only gives 2 choices: "No, I lived in Nevada all year", or "Yes, I lived in another state", in which case it asks the date at which I became a resident of Nevada, and subsequently rejects the date I input because it was in a *previous* year.  To be clear, I did not change residence in the current year, I just want to do the right thing so I can allocate my income based on the months that I am in California vs. the months that I am in Nevada.  Any help on how to use TurboTax for this purpose would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Part-Time Resident Filing California and Nevada -- how to make Turbotax do the right thing?

When TurboTax asks what state or states you lived in, it means what state you were a resident of. If, as NCperson suggested, you are not considered a California resident, then you enter Nevada as your state of residence, and select "No, I lived in Nevada all year." Later TurboTax asks if you made money in any other states. You answer Yes and select California as the other state. When you get to the state section in TurboTax, it will guide you through preparing a California nonresident tax return (not part-year resident). On the nonresident tax return you will allocate the portion of your income that was from California.

Here is a link to the 2021 version of the FTB publication that NCperson referred you to.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-1031-publication.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@e36auto sounds like you are a resident of NV all year - that is where you vote, get your mail, register your car, etc. etc. etc

please review the link below, esp. page 4 section E and page 5 section G..... sounds like you are NOT a resident (nor a part year resident) of CA..... based on the way CA uses the terminology

based on the CA definitions, a part year resident would be someone who begins the year as a resident and then moves to another state or vice-versa, begins the year in another state and then establishes their residency to CA.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-1031-publication.pdf

then review Page 6, section I - how to report CA sourced income

with that context, I suspect TT is following the rules of residency as prescribes by the States 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When TurboTax asks what state or states you lived in, it means what state you were a resident of. If, as NCperson suggested, you are not considered a California resident, then you enter Nevada as your state of residence, and select "No, I lived in Nevada all year." Later TurboTax asks if you made money in any other states. You answer Yes and select California as the other state. When you get to the state section in TurboTax, it will guide you through preparing a California nonresident tax return (not part-year resident). On the nonresident tax return you will allocate the portion of your income that was from California.

Here is a link to the 2021 version of the FTB publication that NCperson referred you to.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-1031-publication.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies