turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overpayment from previous year (2019) applied to current year (2020) is twice what it should be for Minnesota.

For tax year 2019 I applied $1000 of my Minnesota overpayment to my 2020 taxes. This $1000 is shown on line 33 (Amount from line 28 you want applied to your 2020 estimated tax) on my 2019 M1. However, 2020 TurboTax (I assume automatically) brought this in as $2000 - twice the amount it should be. This $2000 is shown on line 6 (Overpayment from previous year applied to current year) on the 2020 Tax Payments Worksheet and carries over to line 21 (Minnesota estimated tax and extension payments made for 2020) of my 2020 M1. I did not enter any Minnesota estimated tax payments made for 2020. That section of the 2020 Tax Payments Worksheet is accordingly empty.

What is going on? TurboTax is showing twice the amount it should be.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Overpayment from previous year (2019) applied to current year (2020) is twice what it should be for Minnesota.

Try this:

• In the federal section,
  • under deductions and credits,
  • scroll down to  Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Select Other Income Taxes
  • Scroll down to 2019 refund applied to 2020
  • Select 2019 refund applied to 2020 state taxes
  • Start

Your overpayment should be in that section. You should be able to correct the overpayment issue. That shows up in the federal carryover worksheet. These numbers remain stable so if your filing status changed, numbers must me changed manually.

The MN Tax Pymt Wks is the form holding the carryover. You may need to delete it. See  How to Delete 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Many thanks, Just what  I needed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies