Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oregon Qualified Business Income (QBI) Deduction for two Schedule C businesses

My husband and I both have separate Schedule C businesses.  I made approximately 100,000 last year and he made 50,000.  

When I put in just my info, we get a refund of 1490.

When I put in just his info, we get a refund of 1367.

When I put in both our incomes we get a refund of 411.  

But shouldn't it be more with both our incomes?  I do not see that we are crossing an income threshold.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I think I may have answered my own question (although I still don't understand the math).  It looks like as the owner of a sole proprietorship I am not considered an employee of my own business.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you enter each business separately, the income tax is computed and also the SE tax. There is a tax bracket difference between just his income and your or his and joint.

Self-Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400.  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare. 

By the time you enter both businesses and compute SE tax plus federal tax vs what you have paid in, you see the results. There have to be some other credits coming into play here as well. Gross income vs net income can be a big difference. You may have EIC, retirement, or other, coming into play 

As an owner, you are not an employee. Without seeing your return, I can't be of any more help. I wish I was sitting there with you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I know enough to know I can't take the deduction - that extra thousand was appealing! 

The form is not auto populated at all.  You fill it all in yourself.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies