Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OR Form 40p

Hi all! I lived in Oregon for most of the year and had an HSA with my job there. I had the same job + health insurance in a different state and I don't know if this is throwing this off. Anyway, this is the only entry not resolved on my taxes. If I'm understanding properly, it should match line 12a of my Oregon W-2, correct? Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 9.09.25 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

OR Form 40p

Unfortunately, that screen shot appears to be from the Oregon Review, which means that it is not a state form and easily found.

"If I'm understanding properly, it should match line 12a of my Oregon W-2, correct? "

That is incorrect. Schedule 1, line 12 refers to HSA contributions that were made directly to your HSA, outside of your employer.

No part of the code W amount in box 12 on your W-2 should appear on line 12 on Schedule 1. This mistake usually happens because a taxpayer makes a duplicate entry in the HSA interview.

There is a screen with the title "Let's enter [name]' HSA contributions". The first line says "employer contribution and has the code W amount in box 12 on the W-2.

The second line asks for "personal" contributions, that is, contributions you made directly to the HSA NOT through your employer. Taxpayers often think that their payroll deduction contributions are "personal" but they are not. They are considered part of the employer contribution and they should NOT be repeated on the second line. 

So, first, does this help you understand your situation? 

Second, I can't see the columns headings, what are they? Taxpayer and spouse? Federal and Oregon?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OR Form 40p

Okay, I do think the problem might be that I double-entered my HSA contributions, as I did not contribute outside of my employer. However, now the problem I'm having is that I have zeroed out the HSA for extra contributions pretty much everywhere I can check (federally and in the two states I have lived in) and am still getting flagged on this step.

Columns are Federal (left) and Oregon (right). Attaching another screenshot, if it helps.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.47.20 AM.png

BillM223
Expert Alumni

OR Form 40p

OK, let's do the following:

1. Delete all HSA information to clear any lingering data

2. Restart Oregon

#1. To delete all HSA information and reset it, please do:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. return to the HSA interview (do a Search for hsa and click on the jump-to result) and go through the interview.

#2 Restart Oregon

If you can, delete Oregon and re-add it. NOTE: if you have the Online product and have already paid for it or registered, then you won't be able to.

Instead, do this:

*** Desktop***

1. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

1. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

2. delete form(s) Oregon Other Additions (Other Adds) and Oregon Other Subtractions (Other Subs).

3. go the the Oregon interview and start from the beginning.

Let me know if this works for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies