Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Online College Instructor for a Nebraska college, but I live full-time in Michigan. Do I have to file a Nebraska return?

I am an adjunct instructor for a Nebraska community college, but only teach online and I live full-time in Michigan. I perform NO work in Nebraska. Do I have to file a Nebraska return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Online College Instructor for a Nebraska college, but I live full-time in Michigan. Do I have to file a Nebraska return?

No, if you did not work in the state of Nebraska you would not be required to report the income there as a nonresident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great news! But I do receive a W-2 from the Nebraska based college. Does that change things?

Additional info:

It appears that they did not withhold any taxes for the State of Nebraska.  Box 17, "State Income Tax" is blank.

I always report this income from the college on my Michigan tax return.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The wages are taxed where the work is performed, so if you were in Michigan when you did the work, it will not be taxable in Nebraska, even if the payor is located there.

If they had withheld tax for Nebraska, you would have needed to file a return to have that refunded, so it was helpful they did not. You can request their payroll to withhold Michigan taxes, if you wish. 

TomD8
Level 15

Be aware that Nebraska Regulation 22.003.01C(1) states:

"If the nonresident's service is performed without Nebraska for his or her convenience, but the service is directly related to a business, trade, or profession carried on within Nebraska and except for the nonresident's convenience, the service could have been performed within Nebraska, the compensation for such services shall be Nebraska source income."

https://revenue.nebraska.gov/about/legal-information/regulations/chapter-22-individual-income-tax

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

What's in boxes 15 and 16 of your W-2? If NE is in box 15 and box 16 has an amount, the NE tax people may think you have NE source income, even though box 17 is blank (there was no NE withholding).

They are also blank. 

I wonder what that means for me. I live 500 miles from the Nebraska boarder. Would the State of Nebraska consider that my service could have been performed in Nebraska?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I wonder what that means for me. Would the State of Nebraska consider that my service could have been performed in Nebraska?

A. Simple answer: yes. 

If you work outside the state as a job requirement, you are only subject to Nebraska State income tax on the days you work in Nebraska. But if you work outside Nebraska for your own convenience, you are subject to Nebraska income tax on income earned from NE.  Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and Arkansas have the same rule.  

Q.  So, what do you do now?  

A.  You're probably not going to get a straight forward answer.  We don't know how aggressively NE is enforcing and/or interpreting this.  The fact that your employer didn't put NE in box 15, of your W-2, could be interpreted as  you are NOT subject to NE tax.  Tax wise, you probably come out even, as MI will give you a credit, or partial credit, for any tax paid to NE.  But you'll have the cost ($40) of paying for software for a 2nd state and the hassle of preparing two state returns (prepare the NE return first, so the MI program can calculate the credit). 

Here's another reference:

"The traditional rule is that employees are subject to income tax on income they earn while in a state. For this reason, if an employee lives in Iowa and works in Nebraska, they are subject to Nebraska income tax on their income.

Given this traditional rule, employees who leave Nebraska, but continue to work for a Nebraska based company remotely, generally do not expect to pay Nebraska income tax on their wages. However, the Nebraska Department of Revenue has, by regulation, instituted a rule commonly known as the convenience of the employer rule. Under this rule, service that could be performed in Nebraska, but is performed outside of the state only for the employee’s convenience, may still be subject to Nebraska income tax. The Department’s regulation states:

“If the nonresident’s service is performed without Nebraska for his or her convenience, but the service is directly related to a business, trade, or profession carried on within Nebraska and except for the nonresident’s convenience, the service could have been performed within Nebraska, the compensation for such services shall be Nebraska source income.”

Based on this rule, it is possible that the Department may claim that the work done by remote employees is still subject to Nebraska income tax – even though those employees work entirely outside of Nebraska.

In addition, the state where that employee resides may claim that the wages of that employee are subject to income tax in that state as well. To address this, companies should be considering and documenting whether their remote employees are only located outside of Nebraska for the employee’s convenience or whether a company business reason may exist for their location."

https://www.mcgrathnorth.com/remote-employees-can-have-significant-state-tax-implications#:~:text=Ho....

TomD8
Level 15

You may want to contact the Nebraska Dept. of Revenue directly.  No one here can tell you authoritatively how Nebraska interprets or enforces that regulation.

https://revenue.nebraska.gov/about/contact-us

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you. This is very helpful information. 

I found this and thought I would share. Not sure if this information impacts the above discussion. 

From Nebraska Dept. of Revenue. 

"Wages paid to a nonresident employee for work performed entirely outside of Nebraska are not subject to Nebraska income tax withholding."

https://revenue.nebraska.gov/about/legal-information/regulations/chapter-21-income-tax-withholding

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you are not working remotely for your own convenience, then you would not be subject to taxation by Nebraska if you never work in the state.  If at some point you did visit the school and work at the school, then your income would be subject to Nebraska taxes.  As an online teacher, you are teaching online students. The school would not maintain an office or a classroom for you and would require you to provide your own office for their convenience.

If you are video lecturing students who are on campus in a classroom, watching you on the screen, then you would have a hard time saying that this was for the employers convenience and not for yours.  If it is for theirs, you are not subject to Nebraska tax. If it is for your convenience, then you are subject to Nebraska tax, even if you never go to Nebraska. 

It really all comes down to WHY you are working remotely. If the school is having you do it because of their set up or if it is just an employee perk.  

"If the nonresident's service is performed without Nebraska for his or her convenience, but the service is directly related to a business, trade, or profession carried on within Nebraska and except for the nonresident's convenience, the service could have been performed within Nebraska, the compensation for such services shall be Nebraska source income.

When a taxpayer has performed some service in this state and the base of operations, or, if there is no base of operations, the place from which the services are directed or controlled is in this state, the compensation paid by a business, trade, or profession for all services of the taxpayer shall be income from Nebraska sources." Chapter 22

Thanks, Vanessa. This is thoughtful. The college does NOT provide me with anything (no office or classroom). The class is 100% virtual (students could be sitting on their bed in pajamas), and all lessons and work are completed on their own time (not a set class schedule). You are correct. They are not accommodating me, but I am accommodating them. I provide my own computer, internet and workspace. In fact, many of the students do not reside in Nebraska.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Then, based on the information you are providing, you do not need to pay Nebraska taxes or file a Nebraska tax return. If however, your employer withheld Nebraska state taxes, you could file a nonresident return to claim a refund of any amounts withheld.  You would claim $0 for income on the return just leaving the amount withheld in the federal W2 section of TurboTax.

If they did not withhold Nebraska taxes, you do not need to file a Nebraska return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies