Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nightpuppy
Returning Member

Not Elible for Electronic E-Filing NY State -

I keep getting an error that says I am unable to E-File in NY because in box 14 on my w-2 I have NYPFL and have selected other not on above list. This is option is deemed unacceptable for e-file in NY. Can someone help? Do I need to mail in my NY form or is this an error caused by the software?

Below is full error message

Public employee retirement contributions must be categorized as either subject to tax or tax exempt. The only valid tax category entries for public employee retirement contributions on W-2 box 14 are either 1) NY IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax or 2) NY IRC 414(h) NY Tax Exempt. Other - not on above list is not acceptable for e-file in NY. In most cases public employee retirement contributions are subject to tax. Review all w-2 box 14 entries on your federal return in the wages and income section. If you do not see the tax category box next to the box 14 amount field then click Continue and on the next screen click Back.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Did you have NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund on the drop down?  If the NYPFL is your only New York amount in Box 14,you can delete it so that you can efile- it does not have to be reported.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nightpuppy
Returning Member

I have NYSDI and NYPFL in box 14. The NY Nonocupational disability Fund dropped down was selected for NYSDI. Can I use that option for NYPFL as well?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

No. NYSDI is also NY Nonoccupational disability fund, but it is not NYPFL.

You could either leave it off as suggested by MaryK1101 or you could enter this and select "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on the above list." You would want to do this if itemizing your deductions when medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income. If this is not your circumstance, there is no value added by including the NYPFL on your tax return.

Nightpuppy
Returning Member

Can I delete both entries of NYSDI and NYPFL if the amount for both is minimal? My medical expenses do not exceed 7.5% of my adjusted gross income. I'm still receiving the  error message when I try to file because I have NY nonoccupational disability in the drop down for NYSDI. Please note I deleted the NYPFL entry due to Mary's comments.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, since you are not itemizing medical deductions, you can delete that entry as well. Neither entry is relevant to your return based on what you have stated. Delete them and file.

Nightpuppy
Returning Member

I have left box 14 blank with no entry and I am still receiving the error. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am still unable to e-file for NY. Is there anything else I can do? At one point it looked like I was going to be able to e-file, but after the mandatory update the error message returned. I have retirement plan checked off in box 13. Is this causing the error? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Let's try one more thing. The W2 is a problem and I think something is stuck. If 14 is blank, it should not be giving you an error.

1. Delete the form W2:
    • You can use the trashcan icon or
    • Delete through the forms
      1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
      2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools
      3. then select  Tools.
      4. In the pop-up window named Tool Center,
      5. choose Delete a form.
      6. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
  2. Log out of your return.
  3. Try one or more of the following:
  4. Log back into your return.
  5. Enter the form W2 again and leave line 14 blank.   

I did all the steps suggested, deleted the two W-2, closed the file cleared the cache and manually inputted the W-2 leaving box 14 blank and still getting the same messaged.

Im using Turbotax Premier for Mac.  Any other ideas?  Is Turbo going to have an update to fix this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Mike 

The return had three W-2's, 2 for NYS and 1 for NJ.  Had been deleted the NYS box 14 information and was still getting the error message.  Finally I deleted the NJ box 14 info just to see and sure enough with all W-2's box 14 deleted, I was able to electronically file NYS>

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Box 14 is an information only section of your W-2, so it will not affect your tax return.  I'm not sure what note could have been in there that would prevent E-Filing.

Stryp3z
Returning Member

Had the same issue and this work around allowed me to e-file also.

thanks

JKetchum3

I had the same issue for my 2020 taxes.  I deleted the box 14 entries but still received the error.  It wasn't until I removed the box 14 entries on my CT W-2 that allowed me to submit electronically.

How did you delete them? I went back to the Federal and removed them, but still get the same message.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are receiving a message stating public employee retirement contributions must be categorized as either subject to tax or tax-exempt, then you cannot select Other (not classified) for a 414(h) entry. 

Please check the list below and determine the source of your retirement contributions. If you are a member of one of those groups and that is the source of your retirement contributions, then you should select Subject to NY Tax.  Otherwise, select Tax Exempt

The following 414(h) retirement contributions shown on federal form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, are taxable by New York State.

• A member of the New York State and Local Retirement systems, which include the New York State Employees' Retirement System and the New York State Police and Fire Retirement System.
  • A member of the New York State Teachers' Retirement System.
  • An employee of the State or City University of New York who belongs to the Optional Retirement Program.
  • A member of the New York City Employees' Retirement System, the New York City Teachers' Retirement System, the New York City Board of Education Retirement System, the New York City Police Pension Fund, or the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund.
  • A member of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA).

@tanney9

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies