turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

koc
Level 2

NJ return REJECTED - need HELP to fix

Just filed STATE and FEDERAL returns - Federal was "accepted" - but NJ was REJECTED.

TTAX email says: "What happened /ReturnState/ReturnDataState/FormNJ1040/Body/Other/Amount - When entering other income even if you enter a zero the column for the New Jersey total must have a description value." ???

PER TTAX BLOG - I entered a number (example $1000) received from a non-taxable personal injury settlement - and enter a corresponding -$1000 entry to make the total ZERO. For both entries I put description "non-taxable physical injury settlement". I did the same entries on my Federal Return that was accepted.

TTAX EMAIL SAYS: "Next step.  We'll help you update this on your 2019 New Jersey Personal return and e-file. To update your return. Once you've opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what's causing the problem will be displayed. From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e-file your return. If we're unable to resolve the errors and e-file again, we'll help you get your return filed by mail."

But I open my return there is "details provided" or "walk me through making the updates."

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Go to the efile section and run the error check again.  If there are no errors, efile again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Q. But I open my return there is "details provided" or "walk me through making the updates."

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

A. Pick one.

koc
Level 2

When I open my return there are NO   "details" or "walk me through making the updates." Do you have an answer  or not?

koc
Level 2

I ran the error check again - and AGAIN it said no errors - so I refiled - got SAME rejection notice. 

There are no details because TurboTax does not consider what you are doing to be an error.

You should plan to file a paper return via US Mail with NJ.

koc
Level 2

1. How do you print ONLY the sate return in TTAX? When you ask TTAX to print returns it starts with the federal - but my federal was already e-filed and "accepted" - the program will not skip to the state return - so how do I just print the state now?  

2. Will TTAX refund my $24.99 state e-file fee since state return was rejected and never e-filed?

3. Will TTAX make the still submit my state tax payment from my bank be processed anyway even though the state return was rejected?

koc
Level 2

I feel better now (not) - if that is the case then I recommend TTAX get out of the state e-file business - from reading the many problems with state returns on this forum - it seems state returns are too variable for TTAX - also they should not charge you a $24.99 state e-file fee until after the return is accepted by the state.

turboatax printing is always to a PDF file.

Then in adobe reader, you can select the pages you want to send to printer i.e. NJ only.

You would want to print the federal return anyway for your records.

--

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing (or mailing).
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend because a TurboTax update changes your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies