Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DeeLuxe

new york resident temporarily living and working in New Hampshire

My daughter is a New York resident.  In march due to Covid, she came home to temporarily live and work for me in New Hampshire.  We do not have a state income tax.  I have not been taking new york state taxes out of her paycheck.  She will be going back to New York.  She will get a W2 from my company.  When she does her taxes, will she then just report the income on the state form? And then the taxes will be calculated?  Is there any temporary status for her living in New Hampshire in which she wouldn't have to pay those New York state taxes since she was in New Hampshire for 8 months of the year? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@DeeLuxe , (a) your daughter not having established  residency in NH is still a resident of NY;  (b) Thus when she files her 2020 return  she will need to recognize her  NY income plus income from NH.  (c) She should consider paying in some estimated  state tax for NY -- because when she files , the out-of-state income will be taxed  by NY and given credit for taxes paid to another state  ( thus reducing the NY taxes owed ) but in this  case she will have zero offset.  If on the other hand she had been a resident of NH during  these nine months  ( and then go back to NY and  change back to NY residency ), she could have avoided this tax bite.    Did she register and vote in NH or voted in NY -- that would be a good test as to her intentions ( even if temporary ).

DeeLuxe

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  Yes she did vote in NY and was always intending to go back but that Covid thing! I have just filled out a form with my payroll company~power of attorney~so that she can be taxed by the state of NY on her final two paychecks.    So she could pay in extra at that point through those paychecks correct?  If she wants to pay estimated taxes, would she go on a NY State revenue site?  Thanks again!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@DeeLuxe , yes that should work -- both points.   Don't forget that this year's W-2 may be a surprise for many --- if you took advantage of reduced payroll tax withholding  ( this will come due  when filing )

Is there more I can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies